What cancer were you diagnosed with?


What age were you diagnosed?


What has helped you to thrive?

Since diagnosis, there have been a few things that have helped me thrive. I have had friends and family show me so much care, but as a fiercely independent woman, I have found it incredibly difficult accepting all the love, attention and help. It wasn’t until I went to a Trekstock event that a conversation made me realise that I need to accept help. Since working on accepting help, I am much happier so thank you Trekstock. Finding people my age to talk to with cancer has been key. Recognising that I never would have spent this much time with my niece born in November 2019 which has been a true positive and like all children, she is a bundle or positivity for me. Finally I always make sure that I get out of the house once a day. As someone that was living an active lifestyle in the mountains, I am not built for the indoors. Although I’m not about to run or ski, I am warm on the inside when I have been outside in the fresh air. Whether that be on my crutches 200m from the house, or on low energy days taken in a wheelchair. This fresh air helps me thrive.

Kirsty's Story

My story started when I was 27 in May 2016. I sustained a netball injury just before playoffs. The x-ray revealed a tumour although classed as benign. So off I went on my jolly way and carried on with the job I loved and got back to my beloved sport as soon as possible. I returned to the same hospital department in 2018 with new symptoms: pain and heat in my leg at night. After a few tests, I was again told that the tumour was benign. I took this as great news and accepted a job in the Austrian Alps, living one of my dreams.

Towards the end of my ski season, I began to notice an increase in pain. I returned to the UK and went back to the same hospital. Eventually, I was referred to a consultant who was a lot more concerned by my scans and symptoms. Before I knew it I was having an emergency scan, and I was referred to a specialised hospital. The biopsy was done in July 2019. A phone call from a Macmillan nurse to report the shock results of a high-grade osteosarcoma (a type of bone cancer) came on the 6th August 2019. I was working in a private Sports Injury Clinic by this point and was between clients when I took the call. Although head not in the right place I saw my last client of the day. Once I finished I warned a friend to have a bottle of prosecco in the fridge for when I got home. I then began the worst part of having cancer… telling your nearest and dearest. The guilt I felt doing this was unexpected and so overwhelming.    

Now here I am in January 2020. Life is more about laying on the sofa recovering than it is working, partying and sport. I am nearly halfway through my chemotherapy. I had an operation at Christmas that will likely mean my previous sporting activities will be forever limited, but you go into auto-pilot and get it done. Life carries on right.

Read more of Kirsty's story here